Thursday, September 8, 2011

Bean Therapy

(The Kite Runner & The Bean Trees)

             As the sun began setting, Amir turned up the heater in his car while frantically twisting his head from left to right. All he had to find was house number 278 on Vega Lane. He had a mix of emotions, and all he knew is he was looking for a Taylor Greer. His main emotion was nerves because first, he was late for his appointment, and second, he didn’t know where to begin. As he thought, he pulled up to a small house that had a sign outside of it stating, “Bean Therapy.” When Amir parked, he saw a shadow moving around inside and he started to question whether or not to go through with the appointment. When he finally decided to go in, he stopped the car and began his journey up the steps to finally ask what he has wanted to know for so long.
            When Amir walked in, he looked around to get a feel for what this appointment would be like. The small waiting room was empty, and he got a sense of safety and trust. As soon as he sat down, the big wooden door opened and there he saw a woman standing there with a big smile on her face and she welcomed him with open arms.
“Hello,” she said, still grinning ear to ear, “welcome to Bean Therapy. My name is Taylor and I will be talking to you today. Come on in!”
Amir felt a little overwhelmed at this point because he thought that Taylor was almost too friendly. But he put aside his doubts and got out of his chair and made his way into Taylor’s office. When he got in there he looked around and she had many different pictures of many different people, places, and things. Although from the many pictures, there was one that really caught his eye; a picture of the cutest baby girl he has ever seen.
            “That is a lovely little girl.” Amir said while now picking up the picture frame to really get a look at it.
            “Thank you,” Taylor spoke as if she’s had this conversation a million times, “that’s my baby girl, Turtle. She’s only one year old.”
            “She looks so happy.” Amir said, and the more he studied the picture, the more his troubles were redisplayed in front of him and he began to remember why he was there in the first place.
            “She’s been through a lot in a year, but it wasn’t all fun and games.” Taylor began to explain, “I am not Turtle’s biological mother. I’m not even sure who is; a few months back she was handed to me through my car window and you could tell she had been abused both physically and sexually.”
            “Wow, that must have been rough,” Amir stated, but something in his voice seemed like he wasn’t overly concerned about Turtle and more about something else. Taylor could sense his distance from his statement, so she knew that it was time to begin Amir’s session.
            “So, Amir, why are you here?” Taylor questioned, just like she would any first comer.
            “I have been living my life for one reason and one reason only. I have a son, Sohrab, and my wife and I adopted him. When I was a young boy myself, I had a best friend named Hassan. We were together a lot, and my father seemed to think of Hassan as more of a son than he did me, and I always held that grudge. One day a few of us were kite running, and I let Hassan get the kite. When I went after him, I saw a group of boys around Hassan and well… Hassan’s pants were down. I let the whole thing happen because I was jealous of his relationship with my father and when he came back with the kite I acted as if I had no idea what happened.
            “I later moved to California, which is where I’m heading back to. I had to go back to Afghanistan and when I got there, I looked for Hassan and when I found him I found out he had a wife, Farzana, and a son, Sohrob, although sooner than I expected, things got bad again. Hassan and his wife were shot right in front of their son, and I could tell by looking at him, he had been through a lot of abuse, just like Turtle. I then adopted Sohrob to give him a better life and to grant Hassan’s last wish. My main question through all of this is… should I no longer feel so guilty for what I let happen to Hassan?”
            Taylor had listened to this whole situation, and when Amir asked his final question, she had trouble gathering her thoughts. She thought about her situation with Turtle and how although she never wanted to raise a child, she felt so much better after taking Turtle in and showing her a good life. Although she didn’t regret any part of it, she never had the guilt that Amir had felt in the beginning. She looked back on her memories with Turtle and she finally had something to say. “I know how it feels to give a child another chance at a good, normal life. Even though you have felt some guilt in the past about what had happened, the joy you have brought to Sohrob is something more amazing than any other feeling either of you could feel. I think you have overcome your childhood issues, and you can go on in peace.”
            With that statement, Amir felt as though a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. He felt like he could go back to California and live a wonderful life with his wife and son. Amir thanked Taylor for her time and all of her guidance. As he left, Taylor hugged him and assured him softly, “this visit is one I will always remember, thank you for that.” As they let go of their embrace, they shared one final smile, and Amir soon drove off into the horizon with not a worry in the world.

1 comment:

  1. This essay was one of my favorites. I felt as if I were reading an excerpt from a real book. I thought this story was very creative, yet fully believable at the same time. The characters used from each book were connected in a very unique and clever way, and I can actually picture Taylor Greer from The Bean Trees being a therapist in her own office. Reading the story left me wondering what Taylor would be doing if the actual book had followed her into her full adulthood.
    Many strong, descriptive verbs were used to describe the setting. One line that stood out was “she had many different pictures of many different people, places, and things. Although from the many pictures, there was one that really caught his eye; a picture of the cutest baby girl he has ever seen,” which was a line describing Taylor’s office. You can not only picture the office, filled with picture frames and other items, but you can picture how much Taylor loves her daughter, Turtle, and how much Amir relates to the happy child from the photograph. Here, the descriptive setting explains many aspects of the essay.
    The conversation the two characters had seemed very real. The fact that Taylor’s dialogue was typical of that of a real therapist made her lines seem particularly natural. She was sympathetic of Amir’s feeling during the session, yet was very optimistic and positive with the advice she had given him. Amir’s desperation behind his words and subtle actions made his role as a fraught client authentic also. I was able to imagine the entire scene when dialogue was used in this story.
    The only issue I found with this essay was that there was a large amount of dialogue. However, this isn’t a huge issue considering the story is about a therapy session – which usually involves a lot of talking. I do not know whether the goal of the writer was to use so much dialogue in order to make her story seem more believable, but I feel like I read a lot of conversation between the two characters. If the writer did not use this amount of dialogue for the reason of making her essay more realistic, I would suggest describing some of the things the characters said out of context, instead.

    ReplyDelete