Thursday, December 8, 2011

Oedipus and Agitone Essay Test

Question #1

Fate is the supposed force, principle, or power that predetermines events (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fate). I am a firm believer of fate and I believe it is not possible to change the path that fate has chosen for you. For example, in Oedipus, when the king and queen heard of the prophecy, they tried to get rid of Oedipus. He ended up being rescued by an old shepherd and he grew up and ended up fulfilling the prophecy. When fate knows what it wants to do with you, it will take its course and make sure you go through life how you’re supposed to. A quote that works hand in hand with fate is “everything happens for a reason.” There is a reason behind everything that you do, and that reason is fate.

                I can’t be too sure when fate really sets in, but I would say it kicks in right before you are conceived. Fate chooses who your parents are based on what your personality is going to be like when you’re born. Once your parents have you, I think what they name you is also fate. Somehow, every “Megan” that I have ever met seems to have many characteristics like me. I feel as though your parents get a sense when picking your name and they come up with what they give you. I feel that when you are younger, fate starts to work but at the same time it’s a little bit of your parent’s free will because they can control you when you’re a baby.

                I believe in fate. I believe that everything that happens in your life was picked out for you before you were born. I believe that everybody’s life is predetermined and when someone has a dream of their future, that’s a look at what is to come. People that believe in free will think that they’re making their own decisions, but I believe that they are just following the life that fate has already given them.



Question #2

                In society, lying is considered “not right” and I completely agree with that. People build their beliefs based on what they are taught when growing up. My parents are very truthful people and they taught me to be the same. Also, being born in December, I am a Sagittarius. One of the Sagittarius’ main traits is honesty and we tell the truth in the most blunt, honest form we can. I want people to be honest with me so I tell everyone how it is.

                I have seen a lot of lying in my life. Once, a friend of mine was going to a friend’s house and her mom said no because she didn’t know that person. My friend ended up telling her mom that she was sleeping at my house, and since that was a lie, she got caught and she is still grounded to this day. I have also been lied to before, by more people that I would have ever expected. The worst was an ex-boyfriend of mine who would lie about his weekend activities. When a friend of mine finally told me what was going on, I was very hurt and that is why he is now an ex.

                Lies can be very destructive because you just dig a hole deeper and deeper and it keeps getting harder to get out. Lies can also affect people around you, so you’re really hurting more than yourself. Some people use the excuse that the truth is way too hurtful. A quote by Drake is “that truth hurts and those lies heal.” The truth can be very harsh, but it’s better to put everything out on the line and keep no secrets from anyone.



Question #3

                The Oedipus complex illustrates a formative stage in each individual’s psychosexual development. As a child, boys are attracted to their mother as a love object. They eventually envy their father because they want their mother all to themselves. This triggers a feeling of wanting to kill the father and have the mother alone. Girls move on to the father eventually but they never have the sense of rage toward the mother like the boys do the father. This whole logic usually goes away quickly, but sometimes it can haunt someone.

                I’m not sure if I believe the Oedipus complex, just because I have never seen it. The whole thought of it is creepy to think that a little boy not even 2 years old would have a thought in his head of killing his father, but the boy’s attachment to the mother is very common. Also it’s common that the daughter goes more to the father’s side. In many baby pictures from my childhood, I’m holding my dad’s hand and Derek is holding my mom’s. I feel like that might be coincidence, but you never really know.

                I could support the Oedipus complex with two sayings: “daddy’s little girl” and “mama’s boy.” Those two expressions are used when a girl is closer to her father and the boy is closer to his mother. If the Oedipus complex is real, those two nick names go hand in hand with someone that has that mindset. I could debunk Freud’s theories by saying how crazy it is that a two year old would have the mind set of wanting to kill his father. I can’t remember what I thought when I was that age but I highly doubt anyone I know would have had those thoughts running through their minds when they were that young.



Question #4

                In the story Antigone, Antigone chooses to not follow the crowd and stick up for her brother, who is being dishonored. Antigone decided to not take the easy way out and she did what she thought was right. She wanted to stick up for her brother and she fought for him. In her mind, she was making the right decisions, which is why she stood up to Creon. She knew this was what she needed to do and that feeling gave her the courage to stand for her opinion.

                There aren’t many rules now a day that I would consider easily breakable. If there was a law stating that “anyone whose name starts with an A, D, G, M, R, or V must be in their houses by 10:00 pm,” I would break that law anytime I go out with my friends. Laws that are random and just basically pointless would be very easy to break. Many of the driving rules I find bendable. For example, when you’re 17, you can’t drive past 12:30am and there have been times where I have strolled in around 12:45am because I had to make sure my friends got home safely. I wouldn’t consider that breaking the law because I came home 15 minutes late. I wasn’t driving dangerously, just past curfew. There are many laws that I would never imagine breaking. I would never ever rob a bank or commit murder because that is just wrong.

                Rules can be fair or unfair, but they’re still rules. All of the rules back when segregation was around were very unfair because they were isolating a certain group of people. Fair laws are laws that should protect the public, no matter what their race, gender, or sexual preference is.

No comments:

Post a Comment